In 1873, the Commissioners of Sewickley Water Works were established. However, in 1980, at the direction of the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission (PAPUC), the Commissioners of Sewickley Water Works were dissolved and reorganized as the current Borough of Sewickley Water Authority. The Authority was incorporated under the Pennsylvania Municipal Authorities Act on February 28, 1980. The Authority continues to operate under the direction of a seven member board of directors, all of whom reside in and are citizens of a municipality served by the Authority. Each member serves under a five-year term.